Thursday, April 23, 2009

Coffee and Sugar Pancakes or Affectionately - Long, Skinny Pancakes

This is a favorite taste from my childhood and that of my mom (and probably her mom too). It reminds me of Saturday mornings sitting on a stool at the counter, swinging my legs and smelling yummy smells while I waited for my Long, Skinny Pancakes.

Start with your favorite pancake recipe - I use the Joy of Cooking Griddle Cakes (see end of post for recipe) and a very hot griddle. It should sizzle when you sprinkle water on it.

Thin the pancake recipe with water until it pours in a stream.

Pour the batter onto the griddle and using the back of spoon, spread it out to a long rectangle.

When the top is dry and puffy, move the spatula around the entire bottom of the pancake and flip.


After about 45 seconds, transfer the pancake to a plate and spread on a bit of butter.
Sprinkle with sugar (about one tablespoon) and using a spoon, sprinkle entire pancake with coffee.

Roll it up.
Sprinkle with a bit more sugar.
Enjoy!
Thanks, Mom, for showing me how to make this family favorite and for pausing the cooking so I could take all of the photos!


Joy of Cooking Pancake Recipe

Sift before measuring:
1 1/2 cusp of all purpose flour
Resift with:
1 t salt
3 T sugar (I'm a little heavy handed with this measure)
1 3/4 t double-acting baking powder

Combine:
1 or 2 slightly beaten whole eggs (I use two)
3 T melted butter
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk

Mix the liquid ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients and pour by ladle onto hot griddle. Makes about fourteen 4-inch cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment